ABOUT UNION RESCUE MISSION
We provide a place of refuge for the abused, recovery for the addicted, and rescue for the hopeless through the transforming love of Jesus Christ.
Union Rescue Mission was founded by Reverend Guy S. Wilson and Ray Branscum in 1946. The organization was renamed the Twin City Mission in 1952. At that time, the congregation of Reynolds Memorial Baptist Church agreed to pay $100/month to rent the old Glenn Hotel in North Little Rock. In 1954, the Pulaski County Baptist Association (PCBA) took over the responsibility of sponsoring the mission and hired Purl Stocktown to be the first Superintendent.
Several months later, the owners of the old Glenn Hotel asked the mission to relocate; and a storage building owned by Mr. J.P. Faucette was leased at 115 Maples Street in North Little Rock. By October of 1956, the location was deemed unsuitable by the PCBA and the mission closed. Ruben Smith, Ed Stueart and Ray Branscum were selected to conduct a search but were unable to find a suitable and affordable location until one year later.
In October or 1957, Purl Stockton, Frank Shamburger, Mayor Pratt Remmel and Rev. Guy Wilson reopened the mission with its present name, Union Rescue Mission, at what is now 2921 Springer Boulevard. The organization was formally incorporated when 38 members of the community successfully petitioned the Pulaski County Circuit Court.
Today, the 2921 Springer Boulevard facility is still in use as part of our Recovery Program. URM operates ministries in Little Rock and serves clients from virtually every county in Arkansas and several surrounding states. In 1982 the Mission opened our women’s facility, the Dorcas House, currently sited at 823 South Park Street in Little Rock, just west of Arkansas Children’s Hospital. It is dedicated to serving women, and in some cases their children, who are victims of domestic violence, as well as recovering from addiction and homelessness.
We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, ultimately authoritative Word of God.
We believe there is one God, eternally existing as Father, Son
We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is
We believe that people are saved through a direct, personal encounter with the risen Lord, at which time they are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This event we hold to be an experience, rather than a doctrinal supposition.
We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whom Christ indwells each believer enabling him to live a Godly life of obedience as he reaches for maturity.
We believe the Holy Spirit unites all true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that together they form one body, the church.
Board of Directors
Robin Scott, CPA
Vice Chair / Finances
Dr. Grant Dennis
Media / Advertising
Nehemiah House / Woodshop
3001 Springer Blvd | Little Rock, AR
Phone (501) 374-4022 Ext. 2
Fax (501) 353-0714
823 S. Park Street | Little Rock, AR
Phone (501) 374-4022 Ext. 3
Fax (501) 370-0804
2921 Springer Blvd | Little Rock, AR
Phone (501) 374-4022 Ext. 4
Fax (501) 375-5134